Thursday, July 5, 2012

Nutty cookie recipe.. Maxwell's favorite!

I forgot to mention earlier, that I hope to give my readers a healthy recipe each time I blog. I have been experimenting with food a lot the last couple of years because I love to eat, and I get questions all the time about "What's good for me, can you send me some recipes"!! So here you go..

I made these when our family switched to eating Paleo. I don't put in Walnuts because my husband is highly allergic, so I add chopped pecans instead. I also add in 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut  and 1/4 cup of dairy free chocolate chips. Don't let the idea of having these as a healthier option fool you. They are still loaded with carbs,  and fructose (natural sugar). If you are trying to lean out, these are not your answer, but if you have a sweet tooth, these will do the trick. They are awesome warm with a cold glass of Vanilla Coconut milk but I prefer them really cold right out of the fridge! 

Nutty Cookies
2 bananas smashed
1/3 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup almond butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup raw walnuts
1 apple finely chopped
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp cinnamon (or more if your 2 year old is measuring…)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to smash the bananas to baby food consistency.  Add the coconut flour, almond butter, and baking soda and mix well.  Using a hand held chopper or food processor, chop the walnuts and apples to a very fine dice.  Add the walnuts, apples, coconut milk, and cinnamon to the bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.  Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper and spoon heaping tablespoons of the cookie mix onto the parchment paper, placing an inch or two apart.  Back for 25  minutes.  Makes approximately 20-22 cookies.
This recipe is courtesy of Sarah Fragoso, blog Everyday Paleo.
http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/09/30/one-crazy-week-nutty-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment